8.23.2003

bizarre must awesome want

I came across this page about the real meanings of some American's Japanese and Chinese character tattoos via a post in little yellow different. I've always thought this must be the case with much of the kanji and Chinese characters we are seeing more and more here in America, where it has become trendy in both hipster circles and in home design. Although wouldn't it be cool in a sorta I'm-not-cool way to have "vegetable" tattooed on your back? I think so. There are some humorous links in the comments to his post with photos of shirts that misuse English as well. It goes both ways. I know people with Indian symbols, celtic symbols, Egyptian symbols, etc. for tattoos. I don't know if it really matters as long as it means something to them. There's a celtic symbol I've always wanted as a tattoo, not because I know much about the culture or what the symbol meant to them, but because it's developed its own meaning for me. I guess you can call it appropriation if you'd like, but the world has always been based on cultural appropriation since people came to be, so it wouldn't exactly be a new trend. And it probably had a lot to do with what we'd call progress.

Besides, my dad works with a guy who went to a tattoo artist to have his son's name, Brian, tattooed on his arm. He didn't realize until after he left that it had been misspelled Brain. He still has it though, still spelled Brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home