1.17.2004

friday five again

Maybe I'm addicted to this friday five thing already. Or maybe it's easier not to think of my own topic at 7:25 AM on a Friday. Yes, I'm at work early - ugh. But, at least I have a glorious English Toffee latte and an almond butter sandwich sitting in front of me. Life doesn't get much better than that. Anyway, here it is:

1. What does it say in the signature line of your emails?

I don't have a signature line anymore, but it used to be a line from the Tori Amos song "Leather" - "If you jump, you'd best jump far." Sounds a lot more profound when she sings it, I swear. It was a motto of mine in high school. I've actually done a lot of things in my life by this philosophy, which is why I do things like jump into teaching yoga after a few months of training, and decide to move to Japan without knowing what the hell I'm getting into. And marrying a cute guy from my high school. So far, it's been a great philosophy to live by.

2. Did you have a senior quote in your high school yearbook? What was it? If you haven't graduated yet, what would you like your quote to be?

I most definitely did not have a senior quote in my yearbook, and I wouldn't want to have one. We had the most lame yearbook and the most lame school, and I tried to associate myself with it as little as possible. I even refused to give a speech at graduation, even though I was supposed to. I had one ready, which consisted of letting the principal know how good his wife was in bed, but I didn't think they'd let me use that one. Did I mention I was kind of a rebellious dork in high school?

3. If you had vanity plates on your car, what would they read? If you already have them, what do they say?

I would never have vanity plates on my car. I used to have a bumper sticker that looked like that fish/Darwin symbol everyone has, but it had an arm coming out with the hand curled under the chin like Rodin's the Thinker, and it said "Think" in the middle. I really liked that one.

4. Have you received any gifts with messages engraved upon them? What did the inscription say?

I got one of those gold Spiegel bracelets with my first name engraved on it when I was in junior high and they were the rage. I asked my grandparents for one for Christmas. It was one of those fancy expensive things you really want, then when you get it, you never actually use it. I wear it occasionally, but it's a little fancy for everyday for me.

5. What would you like your epitaph to be?

Here lies Michelle
She lived long and well
Travelled the globe
Til she was old
Was loved by everyone
and now her living's done
at the age of 110
she'll finally rest again. (Tee hee)

If I live to 110, it would be 2088. Holy cow. I cannot even imagine what the world will look like in 2088. My grandfather lived from about 1910-1997. It must be incredible to see that much change in the world. I want to be able to do that.

The sky outside the window here looks really incredible right now. The fog on the foothills is melding into the clouds, and they are all moving horizontally in front of the outlines of the trees on the horizon of the hills, and the sun is just coming up with a luminous frosted sort of light. It looks like a painting or something. I wish I had a cellphone camera!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home