2.20.2004

evidence of a more global economy

It is hard for me to believe that one single cow in the tiny town of Mabton, Washington (which we drive past every trip back to Walla Walla) can affect the entire market of the "ultimate king of fast food in Japan." I haven't eaten beef in ages, but reading this heartfelt article about the citizens of Tokyo bidding goodbye to their beloved gyudon has made me very hungry. Although ginger pork and spicy pork substitutes sure sound appetizing to me as well. Food is one of the most important and enjoyable aspects of life to me, and I can't wait to experience a whole new range of it. Especially strawberry candy bars and sandwiches! I've just finished reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, and the food was such a central part of that story. I recommend it - it's a quick read and a beautiful story, and the scene in which the heroine is scaling a cold rainy hotel exterior at night with a take-out tonkatsu in her backpack to deliver to her hungry, lonesome, unsuspecting friend is completely magical. So, now you know the way to my heart...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home