5.01.2004

counting down

30 workdays left at the desk job, not counting any Saturdays I end up coming in. Luckily, the computer network is being worked on tomorrow, so I can't work. I've got to start going through the apartment and studying more Japanese and making this whole thing seem real, because it doesn't really yet. Don't know where we're going, don't know exactly when everything is happening, don't know anything much. Not that I need a solid plan - actually I feel like planning is the last thing I need right now. I need to drop all the stress about little things and just do this without worrying too much.

On a different note, yesterday I had breakfast at The Old Town before work, and it was so wonderful to sit with coffee and delicious eggs and salsa in tortillas, studying Japanese and watching Bellingham wake up. The place began filling up quickly when I got there at 6:30 (the hours on the website are apparently incorrect - it opens at 6:30) and everyone but me seemed to be regulars. A couple of guys sitting next to me discussed liberal politics; one of them was running for some local office. At a table in the middle of the room, three men talked using sign language, and it was pretty amazing to see such an animated conversation happening in complete silence. The sun came in the windows as it rose, and I relaxed more than I have in ages. I was actually singing as I drove to work afterwards. I can count on one hand all the times I have eaten out by myself, but it's nice sometimes to have that space, to exist in a public place on your own independently. It gives my brain some room to move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home