8.28.2004

shopping, what else do you do in japan?

I`m trying to sit here in this net cafe to type this, but my back is killing me so we`ll see how long I hold out. Have you ever had your back just mysteriously stop working, for no reason that you can fathom, and suddenly walking, sitting, laying down, etc. are extremely painful? Yeah, I don`t know why but that`s what`s going on at the moment. I don`t want to deal with going to a doctor in my current state of having NO Japanese ability, so I`m hoping it just gets better...

This week we ventured to the Costco in Amagasaki and found that it is exactly like Costco anywhere else. We bought huge bottles of Kirkland shampoo, Tilex, Doritos, and the giant pack of muffins, which are now wrapped up in our tiny freezer. We then went to Starbucks, which is also exactly the same. It was America night. It was funny, the largest concentration of gaijin I have seen in one place since coming here was at the Costco. In our little suburb, we are the ONLY ones and we get plenty of stares of surprise because of it. It can make one feel a bit self-conscious after a while. Next week, I will begin teaching classes and everything will become busy. Which is good, because it feels sort of like we`re on a vacation that has lasted a bit too long. Then, the next week - oh joy! We should have Yahoo BB set up, complete with at-home very fast net access and cheap calls to the US. I have felt so disconnected, having gone from all-day at-work fast net access to next-to-zero. I want it back! I want to figure out how to post some of the photos that are filling up my keitai! I want to email everyone I know! Soon...

There is apparently another typhoon on the way, it`s getting windy and the light has that strange heavy quality. But at least it is not over 90 degrees outside, THANK GOD. I cannot wait for fall to come. Also, I must remember to bring a CD to this cafe next time, because the muzak in here is going to do me in.

2 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Diego said...

Welcome back to the internet! It's interesting to hear that Japan has Costco, and that it's mostly appealing to the non-Japanese as well. I guess in a way, that's comforting to see that American bulk madness still has its place over there. Good to hear that you're settling in as well, despite some looks from your suburb. Can't wait for more news!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pictures! Have you had many typhoons? I'll have to remember to check the weather channel for typhoons in the Pacific as well as Atlantic hurricanes!

-Andrea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home