8.10.2004

sumimasen...wakarimasen...

There is really no way to sum up the last several weeks in the few minutes I have on this computer. I`m at a JET conference and managed to get online, but we`ve no net access at home, I can`t get online for more than 5 minutes per day at work, and I`ve yet to find an internet cafe, although I know they`re around. So, I feel very out of touch at the moment. Add that to the fact that I can`t understand anything that anyone around me is saying ever, and it`s a rather weird isolating feeling. It is really incredible here though, and beautiful, and amazingly hot hot hot hot hot. We`ve been learning to grocery shop, learning all the etiquette you never thought about that deals with basic things like shopping and restaurants, learning how to get around on the trains, etc. Learning everything all over again. It is quite disorienting. But that`s all part of the experience. I`m hoping to make some connections at this conference so we can get out and about and meet some people. Our little area where our apartment is located is very beautiful and has an amazing view, but we get stares everywhere we go and yesterday a little girl cried and ran to hide behind her sister. We definitely stick out. It`s not quite like Tokyo... Well, there is a line for the computers, so that`s all for now. When internet access presents itself again, I`ll try to post more of the crazy experiences we`ve had with the whole moving process so far. We really really really miss everyone from home! We`ll be in touch eventually once we have a phone line or internet access! Promise!!!

3 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger noexit said...

Yahoo BB's got a 2 month free deal with IP phone that you can use to call the US for 2.5 yen a minute. DION also has a 3 month free deal, but their IP phone is 12 yen a minute. I don't know what electronics shops you have down there, but LAOX is a big chain, and they can help you get set up with either.

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you guys have the worlds most advanced cellphones.. why the heck are you not uploading comments from that? do you know you can set it up to update your blogger site from email? its in the settings, do it!! with out pictures though i think... but blogger lets you update from email in like 2 clicks from settings, wait did i say that? do it do it do it! ...from dansen

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Diego said...

Glad to hear that everything such a whirlwind excitment! I wonder if electronics are cheap enough for you to get a vocal electronic translator? I saw a student use it once, from Japanese to English. I suppose that's not really learning the language though. Sorry you seem frightening to the kids, I suppose that may be why they stuck you there, because of the lack of Western influence? I dunno. Thanks for the updates though, it's good to hear from you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home