1.18.2005

should I stay or should I go?

You all know the song - or you should... Anyway, this is the current dilemma. Right now it's 50/50 either way, and nobody knows what we'll do! Including us! The decision has gotta be made within the next week. It's not that we're leaving anytime soon, but we have to determine whether we want to commit to staying through Aug. 2006 or not. Seems awfully early to have to figure out what we're going to want to do then. 2006? I'll be, like, 28 years old then! It's the summer of my high school ten year reunion! That's eons away, right? Ah well. Such is beauracracy. I guess we'll flip a coin...

You know you live in a country with too many earthquakes when the TV drama about a hospital staff during a big earthquake is interrupted by an announcement on the screen about a 4 magnitude earthquake (I couldn't tell where - my kanji ain't that good). Last week I felt the floor moving under the bed, so I rolled over and asked him "Was that a big truck going by or was it an earthquake?" Him - "Oh, that was an earthquake." Me - "Oh, okay, that's nice... 'snore'" I've come a long way from the first terrified trembling in my boots. Granted, we've been very lucky and not had any big ones. Living near Kobe, we're very aware that yesterday was the 10-year anniversary of the Hanshin earthquake. The stability of the ground beneath your feet is not something you can take for granted in this part of the world.

On a lighter note, all the little dogs here are dressed in sweaters or coats when they are taken for walks. Yesterday it was raining and I even saw a dachschund in a weiner-shaped raincoat. Is their fur really that inadequate that they need additional clothing? Are they made fun of by the naked dogs? Or are they considered to be more elite than the sweater-less dogs? Are certain styles of dog-sweater particularly trendy, like those Burberry plaid scarves that every third high school student is currently sporting?

Mata ne - the hot bathtub is calling me.

4 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger ~Mysterio~ said...

I like stuff

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger neonvirus.com said...

wow, i liked this entry, nice window of life.

stay!

then we can hang out when/if i come to kansai next.
I'm thinking about where to go next, and i love the kansai-ben (accent) so maybe I'll go there!

anyway, best of luck with whatever you guys do,
dansen.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger noexit said...

So what'd you decide? You going to stick around for another year?

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger vicky said...

yeah, so are you guys staying??
staaaaaay! please!

like dansen im also thinking about moving to kyoto,
because i really liked it when i went there last time with you guys..!!

i totally forgot about the hanshin dai shinsai until you mention about it... ohmygod it's been 10 years already? time flies... it feels like yesterday to me still. it was that much vivid to me!!

anyway i hope the next entry is not gonna be "we are leaving!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home